I’m looking for an app. Usually, I find what I’m looking for pretty quickly. On occasion, I’ve hacked together a mix of things to suit the purpose. On this occasion though, I’m drawing a blank. This all goes back a few months to a Twitter debate with my old friend Merv. I posted on the blog and Mervyn pointed out that as he was connected to me on numerous platforms, he was rather inundated with notifications.
It’s an accurate observation, as any new post here will go to LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook immediately. It’ll end up other places too, in due course. I do that intentionally because I want a variety of feedback and because my presence (and thus network) on each of those platforms differs. Still, Merv struck a chord. Am I inadvertently spamming people who’ve chosen to connect with me?
First pass on the analytics tells me my post-to-many plan isn’t all bad. I have just under 2.5k followers on Twitter, just over 2.5k connections on LinkedIn, under 400 friends on Facebook. The Facebook connections are predominantly outside the tech and recruitment industries – so the feedback I get from those readers is valuable to me. It’s fresh, untainted by constantly moving in the same sphere I live and breathe.
So what about the LinkedIn/Twitter audience? Last time I checked (I can’t now, the Tweets app in LinkedIn appears a bit screwy!) – roughly 25% of my LinkedIn connections were also on Twitter. I doubt all of them follow me, but let’s be generous and say they all do. That still leaves 75% of 2800 connections not picking up my blog via Twitter – and therefore justifies posting to both.
So the app I need then? I need something to help me identify if I’m connected to the same person across multiple platforms. But when I get that information, what then? I don’t want to spam you, but neither do I want to sever a connection without explanation and have to rectify that situation. So I also want that app to be able to alert these individuals to the multiple connection points and ask what THEY think. Do they feel spammed? Would they rather disconnect in a few places?
How to close off? Well, as I said to begin with, I don’t have that app right now. But I do have a voice. I’ve said before I use this blog to test out thoughts, gain feedback – here’s your chance! This is an open invitation to unfriend, unfollow or unlink me if you feel you get the same stuff in too many places from me. Ideally, I’d do this more carefully by identifying those cross-platform connections and talking directly – but since I lack the tech to do this, I figure we just go open season on it!
I’ve noted connection numbers on those three platforms – I’ll report back any significant changes next week!